Monday, August 13, 2012

Nectarine Clafoutis ~ A Guest Post with Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves

Today I am really thrilled to have Becky from Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves guest posting. Becky and I have developed a friendship over the last few months of blogging together in the Love Bloghop and Food Bloggers Network. Becky writes a great blog featuring, as Ted Allen would say, "the food you want to eat." From Lemon Lime Poppy Seed Muffins to an amazing Baked Artichoke Chicken Becky has you covered from breakfast to dinner and today - all the way to dessert with her gorgeous Nectarine Clafoutis!

 
Hello, I'm Becky from Baking and Cooking, A Tale of two Loves.  Today, I am a guest blogger for Jessica, while she takes time away from her blog. Jessica was a guest blogger for me, when my Dad was ill, so now I am returning the favor  Jessica likes to cook and bake with wonderful dishes, like BLT Pasta, Farmers Market Pizza, Blueberry Lemon Teacake, and Berry Angel Food Baskets. Savory or sweet?  I decided to make a  sweet treat laden with summer fruit, Nectarine Clafoutis  I just can't stop eating all the delicious fresh fruit, available this time of year.

I love the French language and started taking French in Seventh Grade all the way through my Sophomore year in High School.  Then I took Latin for two years, Ugh.  Latin is good for knowing vocabulary and spelling, that's about it it. Getting back to French, I can remember so much French, and I have never been to France.  It is on my bucket list by the way. I rarely speak French, but I remember so much vocabulary.  My husband is a  crossword puzzle fanatic, and I help him out all the time. So when I saw the word clafoutis on the blogosphere, there was a French word I had never seen before and I was intrigued to say the least.


Clafoutis or do you spell Clafouti? Either way is correct. According to Google a Clafoutis is a baked French dessert with black cherries arranged in a buttered dish and covered with a thick flan or pancake- like batter. The clafoutis  can be dusted with powdered sugar and served lukewarm or room temperature.. If other fruits such as plums, peaches, or blueberries are used in place of the  cherries, it is called a Flaugnarde, another new French word.  Then, I must have made a Flaugnarde, because I used Nectarines in the dish.  Whatever you call this dish, it is simply delicious, bursting with the fresh nectarine flavors, wrapped in in a light tasty batter. This clafoutis is easy to make, not too sweet, and makes good use of summer fruits.  I'll be making this again soon! Enjoy!


Nectarine Clafoutis Adapted from Prevention RD and Fooddoodles
1 Tbsp butter
3 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
pinch sea salt
3/4 cup nonfat milk, I used almond milk
3/4 cup AP flour, or whole wheat flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 ripe nectarines washed, pitted and sliced
1-2 Tbsp of powdered sugar for sprinkling

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Melt the butter in the microwave. Pour into a deep 10” deep pie pan, casserole dish, or oven proof skillet. I would also spray the sides of the pan for easy removal.
 In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and sugar. Add in the milk, flour, extract and mix well.

Arrange nectarine slices on the bottom of the prepared dish and pour the egg mixture over top. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until brown, and the egg mixture is just set.
Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving, or serve at room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. My hubby put a dollop of Greek yogurt on his.
Yield: 8 servings.

10 comments:

  1. Clafoutis is such a great dessert. Easy, simple, and so delicious. I have not made one with nectarines yet and now I am inspired to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee,
      This Clafoutis is very good with nectarines, sweet and juicy.

      Delete
  2. It looks gorgeous, Becky. I've only made a clafoutis once, but we loved it. I'll bet it's outstanding with the nectarines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christiane,
    Thank you! This is the first time that I have made a clafoutis, but I will be making it again. It's a good way to use summer fruit, especially nectarines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made Clafoutis myself and I think it's my new favorite dish! So simple and delicious and it truly is adaptable to any fruit. I bet this was fantastic with the nectarines and it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    The clafoutis was delicious, especially with the nectarines. It would be go with apples, peaches, blueberries, any fruit you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This nectarine clafoutis look so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I love the topping it look so tempting.

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia,
      I was happy to share the recipe, an the topping is very good.

      Delete
  7. This looks so good. I've seen the word clafoutis before, but I never knew what it was. Do you think this is a viable sweet breakfast, or is it clearly just a dessert? I think this might be good to take to an early morning brunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, I definitely think you could take this to a brunch. After all, we have French toast and danish - why not clafoutis? :)

      Delete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!