Friday, March 30, 2012

Deviled Eggs Three Ways

Deviled eggs are not safe around my husband. He pops 'em like candy and can easily eat an entire plate of the soft, creamy, flavorful treats by himself. Our good friend Ann is the Queen of Deviled Eggs (we should get her a crown) and has been commissioned to prepare them for all parties and events until the end of the world. Thom loves Ann's deviled eggs so much that she can't even set the tray down on the coffee table before he's eaten at least two. Ann, however, has decided to go be with her family in Pittsburgh for Easter so it is up to me to prepare the deviled eggs for Easter.

I have big shoes to fill... I better make three different versions so Thom can choose his favorite...let's see... why don't we try chipotle bacon, a classic version, and a fresh lemon-chive deviled egg. Yeah... those sound good!


I use white pepper because it's quite piquant and it doesn't show flecks of color in the pale eggs. If you don't have any handy you can use black, but try to use as finely ground as you can. It should go without saying but for all the eggs start with hard boiled eggs that have been cooled, peeled, and cut in half... ok... go!

Chipotle Bacon Deviled Eggs ~ for 6 whole eggs
2 slices bacon, cooked & finely chopped
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon scallion (white only), minced
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
salt & white pepper, to taste
green tops of scallion, minced, for garnish

Reserve about a third of the minced bacon for garnish. Combine yolks with remaining bacon and above ingredients (except green scallion for garnish). Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Stuff back into the egg whites and garnish with minced scallion, bacon, and a dash of chipotle.




Classic Deviled Eggs ~ for 6 whole eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1.5 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced scallion
salt & white pepper, to taste
sweet paprika, for garnish

Combine yolks with above ingredients (except paprika) and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Pipe or stuff back into egg whites. Garnish with paprika.


Lemon-Chive Deviled Eggs ~ for 6 whole eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon stone ground or whole grain mustard
1.5 teaspoons minced chive, plus more for garnish
zest of one lemon, divided
salt & white pepper to taste

Combine yolks with half of the lemon zest and other above ingredients. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Pipe or stuff back into egg whites. Garnish with remaining lemon zest and chive.


Thom and I agreed these make a nice sampler. Save the lemon-chive eggs for the end for a fresh, almost palate cleansing burst which is especially pleasing if served as an appetizer before dinner. If you don't have an egg plate you can serve these on a bed of mixed greens. Chill your plates before hand to help keep the eggs cold once you serve them.


Enjoy!

32 comments:

  1. What great variations on deviled eggs! I have to admit that I am not a huge fan, but those lemon-chive ones do sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love deviled eggs and those look amazing!! Me and Thom might get in a fight over them. (not really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - no worries, we can make sure you each get a dozen. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ann 'deviled egg queen' M.March 30, 2012 at 10:22 AM

    I think that you will do just fine over Easter with these awesome recipes! Bacon + deviled egg = happy Thom!

    For the family deviled egg recipe, we use sweet relish, horseradish, yellow mustard (intead of dijon), a dash of vinegar and sugar to taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You heard it here first, folks! The Queen's own recipe. I love it. :)

      Delete
  4. The lemon-chive sounds intriguing...good for a tea? Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect for a tea. Or as lemon-chive egg salad finger sandwiches.

      Delete
  5. I'm making those bacon ones! Yum! My "classic" deviled eggs secret is to add a splash of the juice from the dill pickle jar. Or if I'm feeling frisky, a splash from the jalapeno jar. The vinegar and the spices seem to go well with the egg yolk. Thanks for sharing your awesome recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, we love deviled eggs here...and now i'm totally craving them due to your 3 fabulous flavors! guess i will be making some of these next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A classic devilled egg is hard to beat - but the others look great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chipotle bacon ones sound fantastic! I look forward to Easter every year, just for the deviled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with your hubby, I seriously love deviled eggs:-) I think each flavor sounds really delicious! I love the addition of chipotle, that would be AWESOME:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely looking forward to using these ideas for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All look fantastic, but I think I'd love the lemon chive most :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm right there with your husband on not being safe around deviled eggs. I normally have a crappy appetite but put me near deviled eggs and I become like Homer Simpson near doughnuts. All of these sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my daughter will love these! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good thinking. Lemon seems like a good complement to the creamy egg yolk. I admit that I've never made deviled eggs before. I have no idea why because I like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan on making the lemon ones again on Easter.

      Delete
  15. Congratulations on the featured recipe over at Weekend Potluck! Everyone just loved your deviled egg recipes! Thank you so much for sharing them. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful Easter. :)

      Delete
  16. I will need to try them! I've never tried deviled eggs before but they look great

    ReplyDelete
  17. bacon? did I hear bacon? These look yum :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!