Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Roasted Pepper & Tomato Soup with Bacon & Apple Grilled Cheese

Look, it's not a newsflash - you know the drill. It's cold. It's damp. It's gray. It's time for tomato soup and grilled cheese. But you're not six. You don't want canned soup and plastic cheese. You want to be able to wax poetic about this de rigeur comfort food. You want flavor, dammit, and you want it now.

I can help you with that. I got what you need. You need bacon (you know you want it). You need roasted red peppers (oh, that charred sweet flavor). You need gruyere and comté (fancy-pants cheese. Really, 'nuff said).


Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup ~ serves 6-8
4lbs (64oz) whole peeled canned
3 large red peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups mirepoix
1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup tomato paste
bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste
heavy cream ~ optional

Bacon & Apple Grilled Cheese ~ per sandwich
2 slices whole wheat bread
1 oz gruyere
1 oz comté
2-3 slices bacon
1/4 cup thinly sliced apple
butter

Heat olive oil in a stock pot. Add mirepoix and sauté until just turning translucent. Meanwhile, char the red peppers on the grill or under the broiler. When cool enough to handle peel off charred skin, remove stems and seeds. Add to stock pot along with tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, and bay leaf. Simmer 20-30 minutes. Remove bay leaf and process with an immersion blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and heavy cream.


For the sandwiches, crisp up bacon to desired doneness.  Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay on a griddle or in a skillet. Add cheese to each side, then apples, and finally the crispy bacon. Once cheese begins to melt close the sandwich together and cook til golden brown. Serve immediately with a cup of hot soup. Attempt to take photos without eating sandwich. Fail deliciously.






Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. Wow, that combo looks awesome! Such an explosion of flavors, gotta try it! Great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good grilled cheese sandwich, your sandwich sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a combination! I love the grilled cheese with apple, and the red pepper soup must be so vibrant next to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially good when you dip the sandwich in the soup. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh-my-lanta, this looks amazing!! Roasted red peppers with a bacon and apple grilled cheese?! Holy cow, I'm speechless! This is exactly what I need after one of the coldest days of the year here in Portlad, OR. Beautiful photos, I'm drooling all over my keyboard now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks delicious and I love the crisp you achieved on the sandwich....YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the flavors you have going in that soup! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect meal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic - I love that you added apple to the grilled cheese. And thank you for adding the phrase "fail deliciously" to my vocab. Perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I need all of that. You have made a serious sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could eat this all week for lunch and dinner and never tire of its deliciousness. In fact, I'd love both for breakfast, too....so yummy, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously need to make that grilled cheese! Perfect with that delicious looking soup!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want this for lunch today!! O yum! That grilled cheese looks absolutely perfect! And your soup... yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Your blog has some great recipes, and I am glad to find it. I am now a follower. Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay super yum. I am drooling and off to grab a snack cuz of you. Hope you're happy now. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think roasted red pepper in tomato soup is great. And who doesn't love grilled cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cow, I love this. I'll have to make a gluten free variety of this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum!!! I could eat tomato soup & grilled cheese every day!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!