Sunday, July 1, 2012

Spinach & Feta Stuffed Tomatoes for #tomatolove

Did you hear? Did you know? July is #tomatolove month! After missing June's event I'm so happy to be back to co-hosting the Love Bloghop; a monthly bloghop centered around a specific ingredient or theme. With summer in full swing it's no wonder this month's ingredient is tomatoes.


On my way home on Friday I passed through the Haymarket and happened upon some gorgeous organic cocktail tomatoes from Earthbound Farms. Since it's the Haymarket they were only a dollar per box. I splurged and bought two. I know, I know, I'm a big spender. This recipe spends only a hot minute (or three) in the oven so you can continue to keep cool while enjoying a flavorful appetizer that doubles as an elegant appetizer for a party or as an accompaniment to a dinner of grilled lamb and Greek salad.

Spinach & Feta Stuffed Tomatoes ~ makes 12 pieces
12 cocktail tomatoes
1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 tablespoons crumbled feta
2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted and chopped
2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs (or panko), divided
1 tablespoon butter, melted
truffle salt, to taste (may substitute table salt)
ground pepper, to taste

Slice off tops of tomatoes and scoop out seeds. I found a serrated grapefruit spoon worked very well for this.

In a bowl combine together spinach, feta, pine nuts, 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs and onion. Season to taste with truffle salt and pepper and combine well. Reserve one tablespoon of this mixture. Stuff the tomatoes with the rest of the filling.

Combine the reserved tablespoon of filling with the other tablespoon of bread crumbs and the melted butter. Combine well and top each tomato with a small amount of topping.

Broil 2-3 minutes (make sure to check and rotate after 1 minute - each broiler is different). Serve warm or room temperature.


 Enjoy!

This is #tomatolove! The rules for this bloghop are:
1. Your recipe must be originally posted in July 2012
2. Your recipe must feature tomatoes as a main component.
3. You must link back to this post.
4. Optional ~ follow along on twitter using the #tomatolove hashtag.

Please follow all of our lovely co-hosts!

18 comments:

  1. I love, love, love stuffed tomatoes ! Bookmarked your Spinach-Feta stuffed Tomato recipe ! Thanks for sharing the tomato-love with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I could eat all of these they look wonderful and I bet tasted even better. I almost made something like this for the blog hop but didn't glad I have your recipe now...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I love stuffed tomatoes! I was about to cook a similar dish ;-)
    Great combination, spinach & feta.

    Happy #tomato bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes 12 but I think it would be a serving for 1 (because it sounds so good I would not share). Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous and delicious and truffle salt! Oh so perfect for a hot summer night with a loaf of crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh - yummy! I haven't done stuffed tomatoes in sooo long. And just realizing now I somehow left you off the hosting list on my blog - fixing it NOW. Happy #tomatolove!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look marvelous, Jess! What a yummy filling. I love that you can find sweet cocktail tomatoes all year round :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Tomato Goodness! These look absolutely incredible! I don't have truffle salt, but I do have a nice truffle oil....maybe a slight drizzle along with regular salt? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A few drops of truffle oil would work great.

      Delete
  9. Jessica,
    Your cute little tomatoes look so good, with all of those wonderful flavors, love the spinach idea;) Lucky you can get these tomatoes now. Here in N IL, our local tomatoes won't be ready for a couple of weeks. I'll be posting later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Feta makes everything better. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love me some tomatoes. These look oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so adorable! Awesome job with the tasty and simple recipe, Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man Jess its 7 am and I want some tomatoes! Lucky for me my tomato plant is producing huge beautiful tomatoes that are dying I be stuffed and served! Ohhhh my my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You would think with my blog being called Tinned Tomatoes I swould have realised that this was tomato month, but no, not on the ball at all. These stuffed tomatoes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the stuffed tomatoes appetizers! i'm all about yummy veggie finger foods :).

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!