Please welcome Carol from Ditch the Wheat today! Carol writes a great blog about living a gluten free and low carb lifestyle. From a breakfast of Banana Waffles to a dinner with Rosemary Peppery Pork Tenderloin Carol has delicious recipes that are both healthy and easy to prepare. Over the summer it seems like time flies by even faster than usual so I am very grateful to Carol for making time to share one of her low carb desserts with Oh Cake readers while Thom and I are thick in the midst of buying our first home. The best part? It's ready in one minute! But I'll let Carol tell you all about it...
I would like to thank Jessica for letting me guest post on Oh Cake. Most of all I am thankful for her starting The Food Bloggers Network. This is where I “met” Jessica and have come to regard her as one of my blogger friends and mentors. I love The Food Bloggers Network for the wealth of information that it provides. I feel my blog, Ditch The Wheat, has benefited from it.
Now onto the best part! What can a food blog that is devoted to low carb, gluten free recipes bring to Oh Cake readers? Well, a delicious, 4 ingredient low carb, gluten free cupcake of course. I wanted to provide you with something that did not require any special ingredients or skills. The cupcake will probably be the fastest cupcake you have ever made. Drum roll….. 1 minute to bake. Best of all if you love to bake you probably have the ingredients in your pantry right now. Let’s get started making what I call the 1 Minute Flourless Chocolate Cupcake.
• 1 egg
• 2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 tbsp of preferred sweetener *I used raw honey, but if you are not used to making anything low carb you might prefer to start with 2-3 tablespoons of your preferred sweetener .
• 1/4 tsp of baking soda
• In a bowl mix together the egg, cocoa powder, and sweetener. Lastly add the baking soda and mix.
• Pour the batter into microwavable silicone cupcake liners, or 1 medium bowl (to make a small cake), or 3 small bowls (to make it cupcake size), people often use a coffee mug too. I found that one batch made 3 cupcakes. *If you are using bowls or a coffee mug you should lightly grease the inside with butter, coconut oil, or your preferred cooking fat.
• Microwave all three cupcakes at once for 1 minute or until baked. *Note, the batter will rise very high at first and then deflate as it is finished baking.
• Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean it is finished, if not microwave for a few more seconds.
For a topping I chopped up strawberries. You could use whipped cream, or drizzle a simple icing/syrup over the cupcakes (Little Debbie Cupcake style), the choices are endless.
PS: If you enjoyed this recipe you’ll love the low carb, gluten free cookbook I’m coming out with. Be sure to follow Ditch The Wheat for updates on the book, and more low carb, gluten free recipes.