Sunday, December 11, 2011

Fruit & Nut Chocolate Bark and Kids Christmas Bark - A Family Sunday Recipe

Chocolate bark is one of those classic Christmas treats that's easy to make, fun to decorate, and always popular with both kids and adults. When I was a child my grandmother loved Cadbury's Fruit & Nut bars. I couldn't understand why... raisins? Almonds? No, no, no! At most all you needed was krispie puffs in your chocolate bars! Now that I'm an adult I completely understand the allure of rich, roasted nuts and chewy sweet dried fruits. I just wish Grammie was still here to have some of my own homemade fruit and nut chocolate bark with me! Here are two versions sure to satisfy all generations around your holiday table.

Fruit & Nut Chocolate Bark
20 oz dark chocolate, melted
20 oz white chocolate, melted
1 cup cinnamon almonds, chopped
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup candied orange peel, chopped

Melt the chocolates in separate double boilers. Toss together the chopped nuts and dried fruits. On a cookie sheet covered with a silpat or parchment paper spread the chocolate. Be sure to leave an inch of space on all side for easy removal. You can layer the chocolates or swirl them into a pattern as you choose. Spread the fruit and nut mixture on top and lightly press into the chocolate so it will stay firm when cooled. Place tray in refrigerator to firm up - at least two hours or overnight. Once chocolate is completely hard chop it into chunks and package in candy bags or a food-safe container to give as gifts. Store in an air tight container for up to two weeks.... if it lasts that long without being eaten!


Kids Christmas Bark
20 oz milk chocolate, melted
20 oz white chocolate, melted
1/3 cup crushed peppermints or candy canes
1 cup holiday M&Ms


Follow the directions above for melting and spreading the chocolates. Kids love making designs so using a spoon show them how to drag lines of one color chocolate over another. Scatter the crushed peppermints and M&Ms over the top, again lightly press to set them in. Let cool two hours or overnight and chop into manageable pieces. Along with a homemade card and some pretty ribbon this is a nice gift for a child to give to his or her teacher, babysitter or grandparents.


Enjoy!

Check out all the Foodie Days of Christmas recipes and follow on Twitter with #foodieChristmas:
Orange-Cinnamon Candied Almonds
Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheels
Fruit & Nut Bark
M&M Peppermint Bark - a Family Sunday Recipe
Apple Cranberry Walnut Bread
Sugar Cookies from Cooking Light
Gingerbread Snowflakes
Gingerbread Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

9 comments:

  1. These look fantastic. I love bark, making some today. Makes a nice gift for people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful and festive! The first variation is my favorite though with the cranberries and orange. So elegant, and perfect for a holiday dessert table :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, I think I must still be five years old because I want a big ol' chunk of the kids bark hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this would be such a hit with me (I am easily made happy ;) ) and also my in-laws, especially my mother-in-law! What a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I'm allergic to cinnamon, but I LOVE the idea of cinnamon almonds! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great how you've come up with the two versions to keep everyone happy: I'm sure the kids would also go for the adult version and vice versa! They look wonderful. I love how you all call it bark in the USA. I'm going barking mad for some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so good! It's a great family project! I love chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore chocolate bark and yours looks like a wonderful version - yum :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: 5 Min Wrap Pizza

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! If you have a question that requires a personal response please email me using the information located on the Contact page. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!